The CW Listserv is an un-moderated list on which any Consulting Women member can post e-mails to the group. Consulting Women will remain a closed listserv, so only members will be eligible to post e-mails to the list and reply to posted e-mails. With the way we have it set up, when you reply to an e-mail sent through the listserv by hitting REPLY, your response will go directly to the person who posted the e-mail.
The purpose of the Consulting Women listserv:
- To circulate information about upcoming events, meetings, training sessions, etc. that will be of interest to other consultants;
- To share project, client, and job opportunities;
- To provide a means for asking questions related to management and development, event venues, client relationships, etc. and receive feedback from other consultants; and
- To share a resource that is useful for other consultants.
We recognize that it is important to be considerate of others’ inboxes. Some have expressed dissatisfaction with the number of e-mails already going over the listserv, while others have expressed a desire to see the listserv utilized more frequently. So that we can give options and allow you to find a happy medium, we’ve come up with a set of posting guidelines and headings for the subject line of e-mails sent to the CW list. It is our intention that by using these headings, you can scan the subject line, learn what is contained in the e-mail without having to read it, and opt to disregard e-mails you have no interest in reading and read only the e-mails of interest to you.
Headings for subject lines of e-mails:
EVENT – Announcements, meetings, events, training sessions, workshops, fundraisers
JOB – Projects, jobs, clients looking for someone to do work, work that can be subcontracted, collaboration opportunities
QUESTION – Can you recommend a good tax attorney? Do you know of any free meeting spaces in Georgetown?, etc.
SUMMARY – A summary of responses to the questions you post
OFF TOPIC – When something does not fit into one of the above categories, please use this heading so members can choose whether to delete or read if the subject line is of interest.
In addition, it is suggested that before sending a message to the listserv, the sender check to make sure that relevant information is in the subject line so CW can decide at a glance whether or not to delete without reading the full message.
- Only post information if it falls under one of the categories above.
- Do not send chain letters, SPAM, or other unnecessary e-mails to the list.
- When asking a QUESTION of the list, we ask you post a SUMMARY of your responses so all may share the resources. We also ask when responding to a request, please send the response to that person only, not to the full listserv.
- Regulate how frequently you post to the list-serv. A good litmus test for whether or not you’re spamming – have I posted more than 2-3 times this month?